Eligibility Requirements for the Accelerated BSN
While you don’t need prior nursing training or healthcare experience to apply for the hybrid Accelerated BSN program, you do need to meet certain academic requirements before you can begin the admission process, including successfully completing ABSN prerequisites.
Students will be admitted 3 times a year: fall, winter, summer. We will give students deadlines to have their items submitted prior to each start to give ample time for decisions.
ABSN Admission Requirements
- The student must have a confirmed Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA from all undergraduate coursework. For advanced standing students, they must have completed a minimum of 60 credits with a cumulative 3.0 GPA in all undergraduate course work.
- Students must complete an application to the university and submit all official transcripts of coursework.
- Students must submit a letter of intent to the College of Nursing and Health.
- Students without a bachelor’s degree must complete Madonna Writing Assessment and any required writing workshops.
- Completion or expected completion of all prerequisites.
- Acceptable ATI TEAS exam composite score of 65% or greater.
- Completion of criminal background check.
Madonna Writing Assessment
In addition to completing prerequisites and completing an application, the admission process also includes the completion of the Madonna Writing Assessment.
Incoming students who do not have an existing non-nursing bachelor’s are required to write an assessment essay created and scored by Madonna University writing faculty, for placement in Madonna’s required writing courses. All students must fulfill their writing requirements before applying to the hybrid ABSN program.
The assessment can be taken online, and can be taken anytime.
“The faculty and staff at Madonna University have made a commitment to writing across the disciplines. They recognize that writing competency affects a student’s success in college, in graduate school, in the professions, and in everyday life. For this reason, Madonna University actively promotes the development of strong writing skills.” –MU 2014-2016 Bulletin
Writing Assessment FAQ
- Do I need to do any research before taking the writing assessment? No research or special knowledge is required for the writing assessment. Students choose one of two prompts and respond with an essay, using their own experiences and observations to support their points.
- What is a passing score? Transfer students would want to earn a 4T, which means they don’t need any additional writing courses. Even students with low scores can be accepted into the university, but they would be required to take a basic writing class.
- How long do you have to complete the assessment? Students get an hour to take the writing assessment.
- How do I take the assessment? You can complete their writing assessment online. Just go to “Online Writing Assessment Instructions” under https://www.madonna.edu/resources/writing-center/writing-assessments.
- How much does it cost? There is no cost associated with taking the undergraduate writing assessment.
- Does every incoming student have to take the writing assessment? Students with existing non-nursing bachelor degrees do not have to complete a writing assessment.
Contact us to learn more about our admission requirements.