Madonna ABSN Requirements and Prerequisites
While you don’t need prior nursing training or healthcare experience to apply for the hybrid ABSN program, you do need to meet certain ABSN requirements before you can begin the admission process, including successfully completing ABSN prerequisites.
Students will be admitted 3 times a year: fall, winter, summer. We will give students deadlines to have their items submitted prior to each start to give ample time for decisions.
ABSN Requirements for Admission
Students seeking admission to the Madonna University ABSN program may be considered for admission if they fulfill the minimum criteria below:
- Have completed a minimum of 60 credits with a cumulative 3.0 GPA in all undergraduate coursework (for transfer students) or, have a confirmed bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA from all undergraduate coursework (for post-degree students).
- Complete an application to the university and submit all official transcripts of coursework.
- Submit a letter of intent to the College of Nursing and Health.
- Complete or show proof of expected completion of all prerequisites.
- Complete a criminal background check.
“The faculty and staff at Madonna University have made a commitment to writing across the disciplines. They recognize that writing competency affects a student’s success in college, in graduate school, in the professions, and in everyday life. For this reason, Madonna University actively promotes the development of strong writing skills.”MU 2014-2016 Bulletin
Accelerated BSN Prerequisites
While you may satisfy the admission requirements, you may still need to complete prerequisites before you can start the hybrid Accelerated BSN program.
Post-Degree Applicants (students who have previously earned a bachelor’s degree) must meet all nursing prerequisite, signature, and support course requirements. Students may be required to take additional courses not listed if previous degree coursework fails to meet nursing or university degree program requirements. Each student will be individually evaluated and notified of additional course requirements.
Transfer Applicants (students who have previous college coursework, but no bachelor’s degree) must meet all nursing prerequisite, signature, core curriculum, and support course requirements. Students may be required to take additional courses not listed if previous coursework fails to meet core curriculum, university, or nursing degree requirements. Each student will be individually evaluated and notified of additional course requirements.
Nursing Prerequisite Courses
Before enrolling in your ABSN courses, the following prerequisite course requirements must be fulfilled or transferred in. These are not included in your 16-month accelerated track. The courses include:
|BIO 2450||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|BIO 2460||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|CHM 1610||Intro to Life Chemistry||4|
|MTH 2350||Probability & Statistics||4|
|NFS 2220||General Nutrition for the Health Professional||2|
|NFS 2230||Therapeutic Nutrition for the Health Professional||2|
General Education Courses
|PSY 1010||Intro to Psychology (pre-req to PSY 2450)||3|
|PSY 2450||Lifespan Development Psychology||4|
|SOC 1020||Intro to Sociology||3|
|WRT 1010||College Composition||3|
|WRT 1020||College Composition II||3|
Core Curriculum, Signature and Nursing Support Courses
In addition to meeting the above ABSN requirements and completing prerequisites, some students may also need to complete a set of Madonna’s signature courses based on their experience and previous credit, prior to enrollment, and some core curriculum courses, which can be completed throughout the duration of the program.
Additional nursing support courses that do not need to be taken before you start the ABSN curriculum are also planned for in your 16-month schedule.
Please reach out to your academic advisor for more information on these requirements.
Madonna Writing Assessment
Incoming students who do not have an existing non-nursing bachelor’s degree are also required to write a Madonna Writing Assessment essay created and scored by Madonna University writing faculty, for placement in Madonna’s required writing courses. Students have one hour to complete the writing assessment, and there is no cost associated with taking it. All students must fulfill their writing requirements before applying to the hybrid ABSN program.
The assessment can be taken online, and can be taken anytime.
- Where can I take ABSN prerequisites if I need to complete them? When you’re ready to begin your nursing prerequisites, Madonna University makes it convenient for you to do so by offering the courses on our Livonia campus and online. Completing your prerequisites through Madonna can serve as a great option and can provide you with many benefits.
- Do I need to do any research before taking the writing assessment? No research or special knowledge is required for the writing assessment. Students choose one of two prompts and respond with an essay, using their own experiences and observations to support their points.
- What is a passing score on the writing assessment? Transfer students would want to earn a 4T, which means they don’t need any additional writing courses. Even students with low scores can be accepted into the university, but they would be required to take a basic writing class.
- Does every incoming student have to take the writing assessment? Students with existing non-nursing bachelor's degrees do not have to complete a writing assessment.
Contact us to learn more about our admission requirements.